China.org.cn丨Updated: January 22, 2020
At the Central Conference on Work Relating to Foreign Affairs in Beijing in June 2018, Xi Jinping thought on foreign affairs was established as the guiding thought of China’s diplomacy.
The thought can be summarized in 10 points:
(1) strengthening the centralized, unified leadership of the CPC on external work under the overarching principle of upholding the authority of the CPC Central Committee;
(2) pursuing major-country diplomacy with distinctive Chinese features to fulfill the mission of national renewal;
(3) promoting the building of a community with a shared future for humanity as part of the effort to preserve world peace and pursue common development;
(4) building up strategic confidence in socialism with Chinese characteristics as China’s fundamental strength;
(5) promoting the Belt and Road Initiative under the principle of shared benefits through discussion and collaboration;
(6) pursuing peaceful development based on mutual respect and win-win cooperation;
(7) forging global partnerships while advancing China’s diplomatic agenda;
(8) steering the reform of global governance based on fairness and justice;
(9) safeguarding China’s sovereignty, security and development interests with the national core interests as the bottom-line;
(10) nurturing a distinctive style of Chinese diplomacy by combining fine traditions and features of the times.
This thought is an essential component of Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era. It embodies a major theoretical progress in foreign affairs made by the CPC Central Committee with Xi Jinping at the core in governing the country. It provides a fundamental principle and guidance of action for China’s foreign affairs in the new era.