Planet Earth is the 6th largest solar object on the solar system, spanning 510.1 million square kilometers. However, only 148.7 square kilometers (29.1%) is a landmass, while the rest is water. It is divided into continental landmasses, shared by 195 countries (193 UN member states and two observer states). At 44.6 square kilometers, Asia is the world’s largest continent. Countries comprise towns, cities, villages, and other settlements. Russia is, by far, the world’s largest country, covering 17.1 million square kilometers, about 11.5% of the global land area. Shanghai, China is the world’s largest city, hosting about 24.2 million people.
The Earth’s geography comprises both land and water features, including deserts, oceans, seas, plains, valleys, mountains, rivers, and other physical features. At 155.6 million square kilometers, the Pacific Ocean is the world’s largest and deepest ocean. The ocean’s Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench is also the planet’s deepest point. However, the Arabian Sea (Indian Ocean) is the largest sea, spanning 3.8 million square kilometers. Other major water bodies include the Amazon River (the world’s longest river), the Caspian Sea (the largest freshwater lake), and Lake Baikal (the deepest lake). Greenland is the largest island by area, covering 2.2 million square kilometers.
Mount Everest is the planet’s highest point and tallest mountain, rising 8,850 meters above sea level, while the Dead Sea depression is the lowest point, at -409 meters. The Sahara Desert in North Africa is the world’s largest desert, covering 9.2 million square kilometers. Below is a comprehensive list of the world’s largest cities, countries, oceans, seas, and islands, including some major places and features on the planet.
Overview Of The Earth
- Estimated Weight (mass)5,940,000,000,000,000,000,000 metric tons (13,170,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 lbs)
- Estimated Age 4.6 billion years
- Current Population 7,000,000,001
- Surface Area 196,900,000 square miles
- Land Area 148,647,000 sq km 29.1%
- Ocean Area 335,258,000 sq km
- Total Water Area 361,419,000 sq km 70.9%
- Type of Water 97% salt, 3% fresh
- Circumference at the equator 40,030 km (24,874 m)
- Circumference at the poles 40,008 km (24,860 m)
- Diameter at the equator 12,756 km (7,926 m)
- Diameter at the poles 12,714 km (7,898 m)
- Mean radius 6,371 km (3,959 m)
- Orbit Speeds The earth orbits the Sun at 108,000 kmph (70,000 mph)
- Sun Orbit The earth orbits the Sun every 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds
READ FULL FACTS HERE : WORLD ATLAS