French Mission Jeanne D’Arc 2023 to Sail Across Indo-Pacific – Naval News
French Navy (Marine Nationale) Mistral-class LHD “Dixmude” and La Fayette-class frigate “La Fayette” will sail around the world and through the Indo-Pacific as they set sail next week for “MISSION JEANNE D’ARC 2023”.
Xavier Vavasseur 03 Feb 2023
In a few days, the Jeanne d’Arc mission, composed of the LHD Dixmude and the FS La Fayette, will sail for a 5 month deployment, with nearly 800 sailors and soldiers on board, including 160 cadets from the Ecole Navale, the French naval academy.
Jeanne D’Arc is an annual, long duration, and joint deployment which aim is to provide officer cadets with “at sea” operational training before joining their units as officers. The mission has three main objectives:
- Train the future generations of French Navy officers
- Deploying operational capabilities in areas of strategic interest
- Interoperability and regional cooperation
This year, the Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) will deploy from February 8, to mid-July from the Mediterranean homeport of Toulon. It will then conduct a “full circumnavigation” of the hearth: Sailing through the Suez Canal, Red Sea, Indian Ocean, Malacca Strait, Java Sea, Arafura Sea, Coral Sea, Pacific Ocean, Panama Canal, Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean.
It will call in Djibouti, India, Singapore, Indonesia, Australia, New Caledonia, Fiji, Tonga, Tahiti, Clipperton, Mexico, Martinique and Guadeloupe.
The ARG will conduct a number of major exercises including:
- “La Pérouse” in the Indian Ocean with the US, Australia, Japan and India
- “Croix du Sud” off New Caledonia in the Pacific Ocean with 15 nations
According to the French Navy, the mission will contribute to:
- France’s sovereignty in its overseas territories
- maintain the capacity for autonomous situation assessment
- strengthen cooperation and interoperability with its partners
During a media briefing held yesterday at the French Ministry of the Armed Forces, the Commanding Officer of the mission, Captain Emmanuel Mocard explained that the mission is a versatile tool to act in the aeromaritime domain, act in the “air land” domain from the sea, train officer of tomorrow, gather information and anticipate…
READ FULL ARTICLE : French Mission Jeanne D’Arc 2023 to Sail Across Indo-Pacific – Naval News